This project is read-only.

BaseCamp REST API "The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized." error

Oct 9, 2009 at 5:27 AM
Edited Oct 9, 2009 at 5:28 AM

Hello team,

I tried to use this tool with original credentials. But while logging in, I'm getting "The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized." error. The credentials are correct. I'm able to login with my credentials via browser, but not by this tool.

I'm using .Net technology and C# as my programming language.

Please help.




Feb 15, 2010 at 7:22 PM

I used it with my basecamp credentials and it worked fine.  I had to use updated login credentials when they changed the web site a while back, though.

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:40 PM
Edited Jun 8, 2011 at 2:00 PM

I know this is an old post but I'm documenting what I have found in case anyone else has the same issues with 401/404 errors. Of course, as the error implies I was not using the proper credentials by using the API token instead of my actual sign on. Once I figured this out the errors changed from 401 to 404 - Not Found. The 404 error was resolved by dropping the / after my basecamp url. 

The following is what I used to connect sucessfully after several attempts.

url: make sure you use "" as HTTPS is standard now for Basecamp.

username: our administrator had setup our username as our email so I had to use ""

password: at first I thought this was my API token, after 401 unauthorized errors, this is actually my Basecamp account's pw not the token.


Hope that helps anyone that runs into the same issue!